Basic Dos and Don’ts to be safe online.
Jan 31, 2019
Tags: donts, dos, online, Safe, safe online, social media
Leave a comment
Although the internet is a wonderful source of information and communication, it can also be a not so safe place because of its anonymity and sheer reach. It is therefore important to be attentive and alert to what one does online. Here is a broad set of guidelines for online safety.
- Don’t trust strangers that you meet online. Anyone can be anyone when masked with anonymity. Test before you trust.
- Don’t chat with or ‘friend’ unfamiliar persons: Always know who you are interacting with. It is safer to have people that you actually know personally on your friend list.
- Don’t give out your usernames, passwords, pin numbers etc to anyone, including people who claim to work at your bank.
- Don’t share pictures of yourself with anyone including friends, especially compromising or intimate photos. These pictures once posted may be irretrievable.
- Don’t open emails or links that you receive from unknown sources they could be malware or viruses, put you, your loved ones and your money at risk.
- Don’t fall for claims that you have won online contests. Almost all of these are fake.
- Do report or block anyone who bothers you or tries to abuse/ bully/stalk you online.
- Do be cautious of fraudulent people asking for money or donations online.
- Do contemplate what you are posting/ sharing online. Be careful about sharing personal information on an open forum. Once on the internet, you will have no control over what is done with this information.
- Do use a pseudonym instead of your real name, online, whenever you can.
- Do try and use the strongest password you can think of and change it frequently. Avoid having the same password across bank accounts and your social media accounts.
- Do shop only on well-known/popular online shopping sites.
- Do suitably modify the privacy settings on all the apps and social media pages that you use so that you have some control over your own information.
You could also check for Social Media Etiquette